Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Body by Hamilton Classics

Weekend before last we met with Bill and Mick of Hamilton Classics in Martindale, TX - about 200 miles from us in Pearland and half way between Austin and San Antonio. As you may have read before, Bill Hamilton has been a big help and assisted me in breaking in and tuning the engine several months back.

After speaking to Bill and feedback from others, we have decided to not use the Gas Tank Renu process and instead use Eastwood gas tank repair kit. The cost of the Renu process is about $350 vs the Eastwood kit at $50. The Renu process is a thick coating on both the outside and the inside of the tank and does not allow for an original look. It's probably overkill for what I need as well. My tank will hold water and does not leak. The only concern is that the rust is thick. Several of you have assured me that the Eastwood kit would take care of this.

We have also committed to sending the body to Bill and Mick to finish it out. I know, some of you are screaming and really want me to do more on my own. I'm at a point of burn-out and am willing to pay someone to get it done right. I've seen Bill's work and trust that he will do a good job. I think the hardest part will be letting someone else work on Annie. So far, Theresa and I have done all of the work.

The big bonus in working with Bill and Mick is that they can repair the front nose of the car without buying a replacement front clip. They currently have a 356A Cabriolet in their shop that can be used as a template.

Our primary reason for visiting Bill last week was to check out a used hard top that he has. We bought it but as luck would have it we could not get it home in Theresa's SUV. Once we deliver the Annie this next weekend we will bring home the hardtop to clean up and prep for paint.

No comments: