Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Floor Pans Complete

After I bought more gas for the welder, I was able to finish the floor pan installation. I found that my rivet idea was not so brilliant afterall. I found that the pan did not sit completely flat on ledge in some areas. I then went around with the sheet metal screws in place of the rivets. This worked much better. Through my plug weld hole in the floorpan, I drilled a small pilot hole in the ledge (about 1/8"). I then ran the sheet metal screw into it which in turn sucked the floor pan flush onto the ledge. I did this every 12" or so and I am quite please with the results.

I used the same method when installing new angle material along the tunnel. In this area, I used the screws horizontally to hold the material flush to the tunnel and then vertically to hold the material flush to the floor.

After installing new brackets for the kick board, the pedal support, and finishing the a-frame, I found that I was missing the outer seat rails. Without them I could not install the seat mounts. In calling around, I only found one supplier with a set who wanted $150 each!! As luck would have it, I found a set on eBay for about $50. They should be here this week and I can finish the job.



In the mean time, I POR15-ed the entire interior compartment and exterior of the floor pans. I then went back into the seams and filled in the water-catching areas with sealant. With this being an open car, there's no telling if I would ever get rain water in the interior. I'd rather be safe than sorry. After all, I do plan to drive the car in Texas where the weather can be unpredictable.



We started running out of room in the garage so I spent one rainy afternoon cleaning up. Now that most all of the replacement steel is installed, I elected to throw out the scraps. I think that this is less than half of what I installed.



No comments: