Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Engine Short Block Built

Aside from a couple of big weekends finishing the floor, we have been working on the engine. One long Sunday we started building the engine progressing only as far as getting the case assembled. You could say we took our time - 8 hours or so to this point. Some would call this the shortblock.



We used Harry Pellow's (aka The Maestro) "Secrets of the Inner Circle" and our Exploded View Parts Diagrams from Charles DerWhite. Spending most of my adult life around cars and instruction manuals, I would suggest this as the best combination for building your 356 engine. There are many other books for the 356 available with not even half of the detail that Harry puts into his. While Harry's book is no longer available in print (unless you shell out $150 on eBay for a used one) you can buy it from their website on disk. It comes in Word format which you can take to Kinko's to print for about $20 (double sided) and you don't have to worry about greasy finger prints.

I received the heads back from Houston Engine and Balancing . They look good and cost less than expected (about $120 for both heads). I took in the two old heads, one replacement from GG Tyler and Sons and the new valve guides from Zims. They inspected for cracks, installed new guides and seals, cut new seats on the valves and valve seats, and checked spring compression. No flycuts were required. Between them, I have two nice heads.




For rods, I received four good 912 rods from Jim at EASY and we received four good Super pistons, a replacement cylinder, and a Super cam from Tyler. Many of you may be shaking your head right now thinking that I should have bought a matched set of pistons and cylinder. I miced out all of the parts out and everything was within spec. I'm confident that for a weekend driver, I'll have a good engine.

One of the local 356ers had an old Zenith carb on the shelf he could supply to replace the bad one. In the mean time, we received the engine tins from Tyler and have been sandblasting and painting them in prep for installation.

No comments: