Jim's book is good and should be on the shelf of anyone undergoing such a restoration. While it doesn't get into the details of what I need, it has some very good suggestions. Other suggested books that I have on my shelf include the following
"Original Porsche 356, The Restorer's Guide" by Laurence Meredith
"Technical and Restoration Guide" by the 356 Registry
"The 356 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity" by Dr Brett Johnson
"Secrets of the Inner Circle" and "ABC's (and 912's) of Porsche Engines" by the Maestro
Along with countless parts catalogs.
As for the longitudinals. I started on the right side and cut out all of the old outer long and what was left with the rocker panel. This was rust city. The inner long was covered up by a plate on the vertical inner wall and once removed I found that the original looked like swiss cheese. Since this is not a readily available replacement piece, I built an entire inner longitudinal by hand and have been working on replacing it for several weeks now. Working with 18 ga sheet material, it took well over 6 hours to get it shaped correctly. I am taking my time with the installation to keep the heat level down so I don't stress or warp this area.
The heater tube has rotten away along the bottom and at the 3" or so at the end where it turns up into the longitudinal. I bought some 1-3/4" tail pipe repair pieces from the auto parts store and fit in in where the tubing goes through the inner long. Since the bulk of the pipe is there, I used pipe and hose repair tape to wrap it up solid. With that and a coat of POR15, we won't have to worry about the heater tube for another 50 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment