Like an idiot, I locked the trunk lid closed. We were trying to set the depth of the retaining pin and had to open and close the lid several times. Only we tried once too many and the lid locked and was hopeless to open. We could pull on the release cable and feel the spring pull it closed so I knew I didn't have a broken spring or cable. My assumption was that the catch pin (mushroom shaped pin) was not straight and the pin lip was catching on the side of the locking mechanism.
So how was I to get into the truck from the underside and work it loose? I had lunch with a 356 buddy this week and he suggested going through the tie rod cover. At least if I damaged it I could get another. This was a better idea than my plan of cutting a hole in the battery box.
I started by cutting notches in the back of the bolts on the underside of the tie rod cover. Fortunately, my bolts were 1/4" longer than they needed to be. The notches allowed me to back them out with a screw driver into the trunk. I had success with 3 of the bolts but the 4th was damaged in the process since I didn't get the notch in the center. As a result, I had to cut out the weldelet nut on the 4th. Once all the bolts were out and the cover off, I was able to reach into the trunk area and unbolt the locking mechanism.
I'll leave the tie rod cover off until I get the lock working like I want. Once I install the cover, I will go back together with notched bolts in the event that my cable or spring breaks. I think this will be easier access than Porsche's emergency access hole.
No comments:
Post a Comment