It took me some time but I final got the gasket thickness correct between the sideplates and the axles tube plates. The left side only needed about 0.020" (2 gaskets) while the right side needed about 0.080" worth. Since these axle tubes were not the original, it doesn't surprise me that they required different spacing. I also received new axle boots and got them started while the gearbox was on the floor. Once we get the car on it's wheels, I'll put the boots in the correct position and tighten the clamps so that they are tightened in it's neutral position.
We have spent the past few months slowly installing all of the tunnel hardware and I must admit that I am glad that we did. Once the gearbox is in, it would be very difficult to feed through the wiring harness, accelerator and clutch cables, and the brake lines.
We did have a little problem as the transmission was going up. We found that we mistakenly pulled the wiring harness through the hole for the shifter nose rather than the correct hole for the wiring. Once we corrected that, we raised it, had it hanging on the hoop, and found that I had the hoop installed backwards. Back down we go and a I flipped it quickly. Remember, the hoop side with the larger boss goes towards the front of the car.
The brake assemblies with new shoes are ready to install and I have new wheel bearing and seals from Zim's. I am having trouble finding someone to turn the rear drums however. The splines are the same as early VW and all the shops I have spoken to have either lost the adapter for their lathe or have started to buy replacement VW drums since they have become so cheap.
I'm not real clear on how to set the rear alignment. Once we have the car sitting on the ground, I'll have to get a little help with that. Trailing arms are currently being painted and should be ready this next weekend. Hopefully next weekend we can roll it out of the garage for the first time.
1 comment:
I am currently restoring a 59 convertible d.
The center console will be welded to the floor in the next week. My question is:
Where exactly is the wring harness routed while inside the console? i was thinking the pass side upper corner through the "inner tunnel"...
Also, where is the fuel line, brake line and tach cable routed as well? Is it through the other "inner tunnel" on the left side of the console?
Post a Comment