Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Front Suspension Complete

Since January we have not made much progress. Just not much interest with the nice weather and our recent travels. We attended the Gulf Coast Holiday this past weekend and have come home with a renewed vigor to work with. More on the holiday will be posted soon.

I had the front brake drums turned and then installed them with new seals and bearings. At first, the guy at O'Reilly Auto wouldn't turn the drums because his guide book didn't list my car with the specs on how far he could turn them. I told them that all I needed was for him to just take a skim cut to true them up and clean off the rust. He looked at me as if I was from Mars. After a little convincing, he let me go back to the shop with him and turn the drums myself. He didn't want anything to do with it if they were too far out of spec and the shoes wouldn't fit. According to my books, each of the drums is now about 0.020 oversized - not too bad for 47 year old brake drums.

I finally bought a pneumatic right angle drill from Northern Tool to drill out the broken bolts at the rear trailing arms. What a difference the right tools make. Within 2 hours, I had all 6 broken bolts drilled out and the holes tapped.

No comments: