No major projects in the past couple weeks to report however we have completed a few small tasks. The front suspension is now installed complete with new bushings and tie rod ends.
The wheel cylinders were in suprisingly good shape. I cleaned them up with scotchbrite and decided not to get them honed as I was concerned with taking off too much material making the cylinders larger than they needed to be. With a straight edge I couldn't find any wear through the stroke and the pistons were very tight with only a 0.008" to 0.012" clearance.
Once I have the brake drums turned I'll install them as well as the front wheels to give me a little extra protection when I'm under the car. Both of the drums are oversized by about 0.015" and will probably be about 0.025" after they are turned. I have new shoes to install so I don't think that this will be too much of a problem.
The broken bolts for the trailing arms are still giving me trouble. I work on them every now and then until I get frustrated. Last thing I need is a broken tap or drill bit. I tried to recruit my dad the machinist to help. I think he knew how big of a job it is so the only support I received was a bunch of sharp drill bits, die grinder bits, and a big grin. I guess he's retired from rebuilding cars.
No comments:
Post a Comment