Some times you spend all day working only to find at the end of the day that you accomplished very little. Last Saturday was one of those days. With the long holiday weekend and cooler weather, we had plans to work on the car as much as possible.
On Friday I took the crankshaft to Theresa's service shop and we pressed off the timing and cam drive gears from the crankshaft. This is not a gear that you want to pull with a 3-arm puller. You are sure to nick the brass gears and you'll end up spending hours with a jewelry file cleaning it up. The press made this job easy. Sure enough, the #4 bearing was completely wiped out but fortunately the crank looked really good after a little cleanup with the scotchbright.
I received the head, pistons, cylinder, and various other parts from Parker Tyler. The parts came in from Zim's but I was short one valve guide so I couldn't get the heads over to Houston Engine and Balancing until today. Okay, so I figured we should at least build the short block. In inspecting the rods, I found that the #4 rod that we had to cut from the stuck piston was damaged in the process. Now I need another rod. So that job now comes to a halt.
Okay, so we moved on to the fuel pump. Theresa handled this like a pro. I buffed the parts on the bench grinder with a brush wheel and it looks almost new.
Zenith carbs next. We got the left carb completely apart and clean and found that there was a severe casting void. Not only that, but the butterfly shaft was broken. After over an hour of work, we pronounced this carb dead. The right carb looked really good so we proceeded to rebuild it. A soaking in carb cleaner, new gaskets, and a little work with the wire wheel again and it looks new. I'll be looking to source another carb in the near term to replace the left carb.
No comments:
Post a Comment