Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Lone Star 356

Last weekend I had the opportunity to meet up with Houston's Lone Star 356 club. We met at Scott's house where he displayed his recently completed C Cab restoration. It was exciting to see a completed resto. There were 6-7 other members in attendance which allowed me the chance to meet some local contacts. We spent a few hours discussing Scott's job and then I had the chance to bounce ideas off of the other members. I took with me my collection of photos and was able to get some great tips and suggestions from the guys. Everyone agreed that I had one of the most major resto projects that they had seen taken on by someone that was not a pro. I wasn't discouraged.

They did however help me make the decision not to do the sandblasting. The overwhelming opinion was that for a $1000 investment (cost of sandblasting and priming), I could spend less money on a better air compressor and the tools for the priming along with the materials. I would then wire brush the car and then apply the POR 15 on the interior and underside and primer the exterior. I would be money ahead and I wouldn't risk warping the body.

No comments: