Friday, May 11, 2007

Rebuilt Generator

I realigned the tin between the engine and the fire wall and spent some extra time making sure that all of the cooling tin screws were all tight. As I left the garage for a test drive, I found that I could not get the engine to come down from 3000 RPM after the initial acceleration. Once I opened the deck lid with the engine running, I found everything shaking. Once I dampened the carb linkage with my hand, the engine would settle down. From this, I determined that the generator must have had a bad bearing.

I stripped the entire top end from the engine to give a good inspection to everything and remove the generator. Nearly every piece of accelerator linkage from the transmission through the carbs had damage of some sort. The generator was sent to Pearland Alternator for a rebuild and I ordered the new linkage parts.

Once all the parts came in and I had everything reassembled, Annie ran like a new car. Not a single rattle or shake. She has great acceleration and runs smoother than ever. My only regret is that the alternator shop painted the generator black instead of the original silver.

No comments: