I sprayed the bumpers down with aircaft stripper only to find that the stripper only lifted the top coat of paint. It appears that these bumper have had a couple coats of paint over the years. I then had to buff them down by hand to the bare metal.
Once cleaned, I spent a couple hours with a hammer and dolley trying to straighten out the dents. For the most part, they looked pretty good.
I've spent hours on the website Auto Body Store which has a great teaching area and discussion threads. After hours online, I had the confidence to move forward with filler. I chose to use Evercoat's Metal Glaze. This material spread smoothly and was easy to sand down. None of my filled in areas were more than a few mil deep and an inch in diameter. I used 80 grit paper before I applied the first layer to make sure it adheared strongly to the bare metal and then used 80 grit again to finish it. Once I start priming, I will use a high build primer on the bumers to get the final later.
After I was satisfied with the work, I spread onto the bumper Ospho to prevent further rusting. It may be several weeks before I start to prime everything and with the humid salt air where we live I risk rust forming quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment