The engine is now 95% complete. It seems that I have been making regular calls to
Zim's the past couple of weeks for little parts that I didn't know I needed until I found a hole with nothing to put in it. We picked up our progress this week by installing the rockers assemblies. We found that when installed, the rocker arm on #1 and #4 cylinder were hitting the exhaust valve. With help from the
Registry talk list, I found that I had installed the lower head nuts without the washers. This caused the rocker to sit closer towards the head. I don't know if we threw the washers out or if we did not have them in the beginning. Either way, we had old style cast iron rockers and old style head nuts. After some discussion with others, we decided to replace the old style rockers with the later style that has an aluminum base along with the later style head nuts. I've been told that this will also give us a better valve lift suited for the 1600S engine.
Once the rockers are in, we can finish the engine. All of the linkages are ready, the cooling tins have been cleaned and painted. I bought a lot of parts on eBay from a guy who had just converted his 6V to a 12V and was selling all of the old 6V parts including a good generator. I picked up a couple other missing parts from Jim at EASY such as a flywheel pulley, generator pulley, breather, etc.
As for the carburetor, we finally found that the venturies would come out as well as the injection tubes from our old carb. Once we had that solved, we were able to build one good left side carb to match the right.
As for the final count, the following are the only parts that we used on this engine that came with our original purchase
- All 3 case pieces
- Oil pump and cooler
- Crankshaft
- 1 Head
- 1 Carburetor
- Manifolds
- Flywheel
- Cam gear
All other parts have been pieced together to best resemble a 1962 1600S.
No comments:
Post a Comment